How To Make A Flowchart In PowerPoint Plus PowerPoint Flowchart Templates
A flow chart is a graphical or symbolic representation of a process that communicates a complex process in clear, easy-to-understand diagrams. Each step in the process is represented by a different shape and contains a short description of the step. Rectangle, triangle, circle, oval, or any other shape can be used to define the type of step, along with connecting arrows to define flow and sequence. This quick guide will walk you through a stepwise process on how to make a flowchart in PowerPoint, along with a few pre-designed PowerPoint flowchart templates.
Benefits of a flowchart template
- Visual Clarity: One of the biggest benefits of a flowchart is the tool’s ability to visualize multiple processes and their sequence into a single document.
- Better Efficiency: Increased inefficiency is a major benefit of flowcharts. The flowchart diagram only includes the steps necessary to perform a process.
- Effective Analysis: A flowchart helps analyze problems more effectively. It shows what type of action is required in each step.
- Paperless Documentation: Digital flowcharts are a good example of paperless documentation, which is more efficient and applicable in various fields.
Types of a Flow chart
These are various types of flowcharts for different purposes. The most commonly used flowchart templates are -
- Process flowchart: These flowchart templates are used when the project involves a sequence of steps with the decision(s) to make.
- Swimlane Flowchart: A Swimlane flowchart provides clarity by placing process steps in vertical or horizontal “lanes” of a particular employee or team.
- Workflow Diagram: A workflow diagram is a representation of a process or workflow using a flowchart. It uses standard symbols to visualize the steps needed to complete the process.
- Data Flow Diagram: A data flow diagram shows the flow of information for any process using standard symbols.
- Decision Flowchart: A decision flowchart lets you visualize the options in any critical business decision. Walk you through potential outcomes and make sure you consider all the aspects before making a decision.
Examples of PowerPoint Flowchart Templates-
With our PowerPoint Flowchart templates, you can show continuous improvement process flow, plan specific sales processes, outline a company’s hiring process, illustrate a customer’s journey, show the decision-making process, and more. Here are a few PowerPoint flow chart templates -
If the process you are charting involves different teams or departments, consider using a Swimlane Diagram to delineate responsibilities and handoffs.
How to make a flow chart in PowerPoint -
One way to create PowerPoint flowchart templates is using PowerPoint’s SmartArt feature. Creating PowerPoint flowchart templates using SmartArt is easier than designing it using PowerPoint shapes library. But this method does not offer much flexibility in designing a detailed flowchart with different shapes.
We will discuss how to make a flowchart using PowerPoint shapes library -
Step 1 — Add Text
(You can also insert the shape first and add the text later. Adding the text in the first place gives the flexibility to adjust the shape around it.)
Insert > Text Box and then click and drag your mouse to draw the text box; type to add text.
Step 2 — Add shapes
Insert > Shapes; scroll down to see the flowchart shapes section. After selecting the shape, click and drag your mouse to draw it on the slide.
Step 3 — Connecting the Flowchart
Insert > shapes > Arrows; After selecting the arrow or line, click and drag your mouse from one shape to another to draw a connecting line.
Step 4 — Customization
You can edit the shapes — fill color, line weight, opacity, and many other elements of your diagram.
Watch this PowerPoint tutorial and learn how to create a flowchart in PowerPoint -
SlideUpLift is an online platform to help professionals make compelling presentations using principles of vision science and storytelling. The platform contains an online library of pre-designed presentation templates that can be used across industries and functions.
Check out our library of Free PowerPoint templates, which are weekly updated to serve professionals' presentation needs. You will find out the simplicity and ease in downloading the editable template, filling it with your content, and building world-class presentations in just a few clicks.
Originally published at https://slideuplift.com on January 22, 2021.